Pelvic tilt refers to the orientation of your hips.
What Is Anterior Pelvic Tilt
- Occurs when the front of the pelvis rotates forward causing the back part of the pelvis to tilt up.
- Arches the low back.
What Is Posterior Pelvic Tilt
- Occurs when the front part of the pelvis is tilted upwards forcing the back side to tilt down.
- Rounds out the low back.
How I keep them straight.
I don’t have a knack for memorizing things. So when it comes to test taking I always relied on tricks to pass. Here’s how I remembered the difference between anterior and posterior pelvic tilt. Actually, this is still the method I use.
- Take your hands and place them on your hips with.
- Your index finger points towards your bellybutton, and your thumb points towards your spine.
- Now, rotate your ands forward so your thumb raises and index finger drops, this is an Anterior Pelvic Tilt.
- Think about dumping a bucket of water out in front of you.
- When you rotate your hands so your thumbs drop and your index fingers raise, your hips move into Posterior Pelvic Tilt.
- That bucket of water now dumps out behind you.