The Dragon Flag is a killer ab exercise popularized by Bruce Lee back in the 60’s.
Then, the epic training montage in the mid 80’s Rocky brought it back in Rocky IV.
But be warned.
And I don’t recommend it until you master the Reverse Crunch.
But when you’re ready, here it is.
How to do The Dragon Flag Exercise
Now that you’ve seen Mike bang out a few reps, here are a few tips to prefect this ab killer.
- Lie on your back. Reach overhead and grab something sturdy lie a bench or squat rack.
- Inhale and lift your legs to pike up high on the shoulders. The goal here is to get your body as straight as possible.
- Think about tucking your pelvis slightly to create a posterior pelvic tilt.
- Pause at the top. At this point on your shoulders and upper back are in contact with the ground.
- Without arching your back, slowly lower your torso back to the floor. Only lower as far as you can while owning the position!
- Keep your body in a straight line as you lower.
- Reset and repeat for prescribed number of reps.
Tip: Reach long through your toes. This helps connect your entire body, and engage your core.
Ace this advanced ab exercise and it will help you master bodyweight movements like one-arm push ups and front levers.
Muscles Worked Doing the Dragon Flag
- Rectus abdominus
- Internal and external obliques
- Transversus abdominis
- Hip flexors
Avoid These Common Mistakes
Dragon flags are really tough. So, don’t worry about reversing the motion. Stick with lowering slow and controlled as far as you can.
- Overextending the lower back
- Using momentum
- Putting too much pressure on the back of your neck
- Bending at the hips
Core exercises to help you build up to a Dragon Flag